Monday 5 December 2011

"Welcome to bootcamp"

This post will is a brief reflection mostly focused on visual design and written at crazy o clock after a night of way too much IRN BRU and Art books ( Yes not being able to sleep due to constant inspiration )

So here we are Exploring Leicester, a nice and interesting place. Before leaving off to England one of my (ex) colleagues had told me Leicester was small, there wasn't much to do and pretty boring but so far every Tuesday I see new sides of Leicester. Going out to draw some pretty pictures of  still lives varying from museums to parks. At first I struggled, was insecure and really had to get back into the habit of drawing. Due to the lack of former education in fine art I'm somewhat behind the rest and need to put in that little bit of extra weight to get things done and ready.

Admittedly With our first project the canal I was pretty disappointed in my drawing, but slowly over time things improved. as I've started to spend more time observing, practicing and drawing I improved bit by bit. Also with the help of many class mates ( 
Katarina,Victoria, Jessica, Daniel , James, Luc ,Maffy and Samantha ) who taught me new techniques and/or gave me some C&C that helped me to focus on the points I'm weak on.

After our first feedback I've got told I haven't had enough work done. Knowing what Chris meant I've decided to go back to the museum ( next to the archway) to make a still live, went to abbey park to practice tree's  and started drawing random things in my room. Ellipses were also one of my weak point. It took me a bit to understand what people meant when they said I had to "
 learn "to draw ellipses and/or practice them but after reading up on a brief explanation I knew what went wrong and took some time to practice.  

Here are some of the drawings I've done so far.





On the left the canal final piece, I'm not too happy with it so i will most likely go back there one of these days to redo the sketches and final piece. 
On the right is "the archway"  i found this a very interesting assignment and am happy with the archway itself however the environment could use a little work. I'm not sure yet if i will restart the whole final piece or just try and fix it.



 

Drawing a car was a lot of fun, i learned how to smudge and eventhough it might have not been the best thing to do on a car i was quiet pleased with the result.


On the left a few sketches of the Dinosaur bone museum. I enjoyed this assignment a lot due to variety of objects we were able to draw. Also smudging was really helping here.
On the right is the final piece, i think this is so far my favorite drawing. The shading and tonal value's seem to work well.





Bradgate park was quiet a challenge. With a lot of the feedback i decided
to focus on tree's just to get them right ( or at least right-er)
Where i first suffered and tried to avoid having to draw foliage i actually started to enjoy it. And as i went on i tried to find new ways of adding detail.




The Space center sketches are for the latest assignment. I haven't done my final piece >YET<  as I've planned to go back this week to make more sketches and base my final piece on that. i'm quiet happy with some of the drawings as I've now also started to improve my speed. Unfortunately i'm still not as fast as most of the class but this will probably come in time.













These are some of my self directed study drawings ( not all of them) here i practice on still lives to become better in certain things. A few key points i made were Shading,Tree's,Ellipsis and the annoying sink !!!  Looking back on what I've done i'm actually quiet happy to have spend so much time on drawing as I've learned a lot. I'm looking forward to get my feedback on Tuesday !! 


No comments:

Post a Comment